Thursday, October 18, 2012

Recipe a Week: Chicken Taco Soup

In attempt to start making some new yummy dishes and 
to cook more at home. 

I have decided I am going to start sharing a Recipe a Week
that I have made. I do not claim all of these as mine.

Some will be recipes I have found, some will be family recipes and
some will be stuff I have thrown together on my own.

With the cooling weather. It is looking a lot like Fall in our
neck of the woods and I Love It.

This time of year I crave yummy soups that cook all day and 
leave you house smelling wonderful long after you have eaten dinner.

Last week I went on the search for a yummy alternative to chili. (Which I am obsessed with!)

And with much luck from one of my favorite websites I found one.

Chicken Taco Soup

With some modifications I followed the recipe as it called and 
it was a huge hit! Even my very picky 15 month old son was a huge fan. 

I will share the recipe like the sight calls for it and how I made it 
and you can make whatever it is that tickles your fancy. =)


Here is What you need:

1 Onion, Chopped
1 (16 ounce) can chili beans
1 (15 ounce) can black beans
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
1 (12 fluid ounce) can or bottle beer
2 (10 ounce) cans diced 
tomatoes with green chilies,undrained
1 (1.25 ounce) package taco seasoning
3 Whole Skinless, boneless chicken breast
shredded cheese (optional)
sour cream (optional)
crushed tortilla chips (optional)

Directions: 

Place the onion, chili beans, black beans, corn, 
tomato sauce, beer, and diced tomatoes in a slow cooker.
 Add taco seasoning, and stir to blend. 
Lay chicken breasts on top of the mixture,
 pressing down slightly until just covered by the other ingredients. 
Set slow cooker for low heat, cover, and cook for 5 hours.



Remove chicken breasts from the soup,
 and allow to cool long enough to be handled. 
Stir the shredded chicken back into the soup, 
and continue cooking for 2 hours. 
Serve topped with shredded Cheddar cheese,
 a dollop of sour cream, and crushed tortilla chips, if desired.


I did everything that the above recipe calls for but I also doubled it.
Used Chicken Stock instead of beer because I didn't have any.
Plus I added 2 tablespoons of Chili Powder.

I will be making this again because it was super easy and so good!
You really can make it to your liking too. 
Add more Spice, Veggies, or just sticking with the recipe is 
AWESOME! 

You can check this great recipe and many other great ones here.

Now go dust your crock pots off and try this recipe and tell me what you think.
Happy Eating,
Ashley 

No comments:

Post a Comment