Tuesday, January 31, 2012

High Heels for Tennis Shoes!

I remember when I met my now husband 5 years ago, telling him I never wanted children. I was the girl who thought I didn't need kids to be content with life. Give me a handsome man to spend time with and we will travel the world and be happy with each other.

I still want to travel the world and I got my handsome husband to spend time with, but as time changed and life around me so did my whole perspective on having children.

I was the girl who would NEVER leave the house without make-up on. The annoying one who went to the gym with my hair curled and fake eyelashes!

I carried in my purse at all times and I am not kidding here:
A full size hair brush
Comb
My whole make-up bag
A large size can of hairspray
Nail polish and remover
Finger nail file and cutters

I wore high heels everywhere dressed up all of the time and had to look or at least feel like I looked perfect.
Then it's like one day I woke up and realized that I didn't need all of that to find the perfect man or to feel good about myself.

I knew that I wanted to create these perfect amazing little human being to share my love with. Now I will tell you that finding an amazing man to call my husband did help me make these decisions. He loved me with or without make-up and preferred me with out. He showed how amazing he was with his nieces and nephews and I knew that he would be even more amazing with our children. (Which he is!)

Don't ever let anyone tell you motherhood is easy and paint you this clean pretty picture on what it is all about!
Yes it is amazing and I love being a mother more than I could ever explain. I have an amazing son who I wouldn't trade for anything in the world.

But Motherhood is anything but rainbows and sunny skies all of the time. With in the first week of bringing home our son I had been spit up on, peed on, and pooped on more than I thought possible.

The first month of him being home I probably slept less than 5 hours a day with him waking every hour and a half to nurse for 45 minutes and go back to sleep for and hour and wake to do it all again. Showering was a luxury that only happened if I had enough energy to do it before my husband left for work. My son had to be held  for him to sleep for the first three months and if you put him down at any point during the day he would scream!

Any time we went anywhere people must have thought I was a hot mess because I would spend an hour trying to get him together and all of the stuff we needed to leave the house and throw myself together in 5 minutes. Sweat pants and t-shirts were my main wardrobe!

My son will be turning 7 months on the 8th of February. Gosh that is so hard to believe! Even though I don't always get my make-up on before we leave the house I do now get my showers regularly. I get more than 5 minutes to get ready normally! Plus we all sleep a lot better than we did at first (most of the time).

As I look back I am still a long way from where I use to be when I had to have every hair in the right place and my make-up perfect. The great thing though is I wouldn't have it any other way. I love being a crazy mess and if that is what I have to be in order to get to spend 45 extra minutes with my son each day, I will take it!!!
After all if people don't like the way I look then they don't have to keep looking at me.

There are much more important things in life then what I am wearing and how much money I spent on it.
Or the way I look and if my make-up is perfect. My son always looks amazing and perfect and that is more important to me than how well put together I am!
When I think of it I would never want to trade my tennis shoes back for those high heels. They hurt my feet to much anyways. = )

Until Next Time,
<3 Ashley

1 comment:

  1. This is a story you would read out of a book! And everyday motherhood gets even more amazing!!! <3
    Good blog!

    ReplyDelete