Saturday, February 4, 2012

DIY: Laundry Soap and Fabric Softener

Here is another wonderful idea that I owe to Pinterest and as I promised I am going to tell you how I make my own Laundry Soap and Fabric Softener. I have been making this and using it for 9 months now and I love it. It gets our clothes just as clean as the expensive store bought stuff and it last me three times as long!!!

Not to mention I know exactly what is in it and what I am bringing into my home.

Powder Laundry Soap
Here is What you need...


1 4Lb box of Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda
1 4Lb box of Borax
1 4Lb box of Arm & Hammer Baking Soda
3 Bars of Fels-Naptha Laundry Bar Soap
1 1.5Lb container of OxiClean 


I purchased all of the items on the laundry isle at Wal-Mart 
(They are all right next to each other)


Powder Laundry Soap Ingredients
First Grate the Fels-Naptha with a the small side of a food grater. You want it to be small enough that it dissolves easily in the washer. (I recruit my husband to help me with this part =o)


Grated Fels-Naptha

Next, I combined all of the ingredients into a large container and mix well. I use a medium size tote to mix and store the extra. 


Laundry Powder

Then I put it into a smaller container that I can get it out of on a daily bases. 




I use one tablespoon for a small load and two for a larger load or for extra soiled/dirty clothes. 


I still had enough to get me through the rest of the month, but I decided to go ahead and make some more. It would have lasted me 4 months. I payed about $15.00 dollars for all of the ingredients. When I use to pay that for one container that I would go thru in a couple of weeks!


My son has Eczema and I have very sensitive skin and this formula is mild enough that it does not bother either of us.


Fabric Softener
This one is super easy and works wonders without all the extra dye and over saturated fragrances!

Here is what you need:

3 cups White Vinegar
6 cups Water
20 drops of Essential oil ( I use lavender)
A Clean empty container to put it in ( I used a recycled orange juice container.)

Items to make your own Fabric Softener

Combine all of your ingredients into your clean container with a funnel and then mix well.

For this size container I used twice the recipe to fill the jug.

Finished Product!

I love this recipe because it is easy, super cheap and last forever!

And thats all folks... Super easy, inexpensive, and harsh chemical free.

Thats Thrifty and Nifty if you ask me...

Until Next Time,
<3 Ashley



No comments:

Post a Comment